This programme is aimed at students who have little or no previous industrial sewing experience, and is designed to give graduates a wide range of core production skills common to all sewn products industries.
It will lead to entry level employment, provide pathways into specific sections of the industry and is a firm foundation for entry into the Certificate in Pattern Design or other future career choices.
After completing this certificate, you will receive the following qualification:
- New Zealand Certificate in Apparel and Fashion Technology (Level 3)
What you will learn
Some of the skills you will learn on the Certificate in Fashion Technology are:
- The care and use of the industrial plain sewing and overlocking machines
- Garment construction to industry standards
- Production run exercises
- Hand cutting and laying
- Workplace disciplines and communication skills
Most students who graduate from the Certificate in Fashion Technology go on to complete the Certificate in Pattern Design and Diploma in Fashion Technology programmes.
After completing the Certificate in Fashion Technology some of the career options open to you are:
- Entry level machine operator or trainee machinist
- Production assistant
- Cutting room assistant
- Warehouse assistant
- Quality control
- Further training within NZ Fashion Tech on the Certificate in Pattern Design
- Workplace communication skills*
- Some medical conditions may preclude entry due to health and safety requirement
Other programmes you can progress on to:
Where You Can Study
You can study for this programme at:
Dates and Times
PC Code: NZ2607
Intakes in February
The programme is 38 weeks long and the hours are:
Monday – Thursday 8.45am - 3.00pm Friday 8.45am - 2.30pm
Certificate in Fashion Technology:
Fees on application
Approx $400 - Equipment and resources
International students - Should contact us for information on this programme.
Programme Outline Document
Download the Programme Outline Document, which covers the three programmes that we offer students together with some basic information about NZ Fashion Tech.